Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mother Earth of samples: Blue Note records

Blue Note records, the jazz label, has given me - your average avid hiphop listener, many an instrumental melody that mentally smoke up all those gritty hiphop records I've come to love. My respects to hiphop producers who carefully handpick jazz samples for their beats, and give us listeners everlasting gems. Nearly every hiphop producer, from Dr. Dre to Kanye, would've at some point in time had his hands dusty sifting through the basement looking for old vinyl jazz records to look for that one last sample that would make their artwork complete.

I came about this link that has J Rocc (who I learn is an accomplished beat junkie) mixing Blue Notes' compilation of popular hiphop-sampled jazz samples with the hiphop tracks that samples them. I'm done guzzling the bandwidth for the day so I'ma return tomorrow and roll that stream out.

No comments: